One of the more popular sessions presented at the January Direct to Consumer Wine Symposium was about eCommerce, including how to format your email communications.
Nyk King, Direct to Consumer Marketing Manager for Terlato Wine Group, gave some great examples of what to do (and not do!) when creating your email campaigns to avoid having it marked as spam. The following “triggers” can block your email from being seen:
- Do not use Red and Blue font colors
- Make sure there are no spellying errurs
- Make sure the image to text ratio of content is low (meaning more words than pictures)
- Use the same size and type of font throughout the email
- Avoid using ALL CAPS
- Avoid $, &, %
- Do not use multiple exclamation points
- Keep your subject line length to 50 characters
He also recommends testing your email campaigns across several email accounts – gmail, aol, yahoo, Outlook, etc. – to make sure the look comes across consistently as you have designed it.
Thanks to Nyk and all the other speakers at the Symposium – you gave us great content and we can’t wait to implement your ideas!